Welcome to the Workday Leader Page. Please come here to sign-up for workdays. We ask that you sign up at least a month in advance. Workdays take place every Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:30 - 12:30 and Saturday from 10:00 - 12:30.
We hope to start updating this page with training/educational materials, farm updates, and upcoming workshops, so please keep your eyes peeled. This page is for you, so please let us know if there is anything else you would like to see! Thanks, and as always,
Catch You on the Farmside!
Workday Sign Up
**Please sign-up 24 hrs ahead of time to reserve your spot on the farm**
Complete & fund a project on the farm with your team! Click here to learn more!
How old do you have to be to participate in a farm workday?
- We welcome all volunteers to the farm. If you are between the ages of 13 and 18, you must bring a signed copy of the Volunteer Registration Form with you.
- Volunteers 13-15 years old MUST be accompanied by a parent/guardian/chaperon in the field.
- Volunteers under the age of 13 and family groups are welcome to explore the Youth Garden.
In case of rough weather...
- Workdays are canceled in the case of heavy, continuous rain. Cancellations will be posted on our website and Facebook page an hour before the workday.
What to bring and wear...
- Proper farm clothes are those that you are comfortable in and don’t mind getting dirty.
- Closed toed shoes are mandatory. Long sleeves, pants, and hats for protection are encouraged, but not required.
- Bring your own hat and gloves or borrow from us.
- PLEASE REMEMBER A WATER BOTTLE TO RE-FILL!
What Workday Leaders are all about...
Volunteers who complete 50 hours on the farm will be given the title of Workday Leader. We consider Workday Leaders to be an integral part of our farm operations. Workday Leaders will participate in and lead workdays with farm staff and interns. As Workday Leaders, we encourage you to attend our ongoing staff and intern trainings, including workshops on agriculture, food systems, non-profit management, and community engagement. Workday Leaders are mentors to incoming and prospective volunteers, and be part of Veggielution’s work to build community, steward the land, celebrate the diversity of San Jose, and connect over growing and eating food together.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, as positions open up. Fill out an application here. Please direct questions about position availability to email@example.com.
Commitment & Responsibilities
Duration: 6 month or 1 Year, as specified in application.
Attend at least 2 workdays/month
Participate in at least 3 trainings and workshops
Duties include: harvesting, transplanting, greenhouse work, weed management, orchard management, compost management, and more!
The Ideal Candidate for this Position has...
An interest in sustainable agriculture, environmental stewardship, & community building
The desire and willingness to engage in conversation with each other, members of the public, and across Veggielution programming
Respect for the dignity and intelligence of physical labor*
Willingness to work in all weather conditions
Humility and a sense of humor!
*We recognize that not everyone will be able to perform all activities that are part of the work of operating a farm. If you have a disability, or are concerned about being able to participate as a volunteer, please feel free to contact us. Farming requires all sorts skills, and there are many tasks that are less physically strenuous where we need helping hands - including plenty of greenhouse work!