- 4 large vine ripened tomatoes, cut into large cubes or wedges
- 1/2 lb. stale country-style Italian bread, crusts removed and cubed (about 8 cups)
- or as a substitute for stale bread: toast bread until hard, crunchy, and crouton-like
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced red onions
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh basil, stems removed, washed and spun dried, cut into pieces
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, bread, and onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, vinegar and oil. Pour the dressing over the bread salad and let sit at room temperature until desired texture. For crunchy bread let sit for shorter time, and for softer bread, let sit for a longer time. Add the basil and salt and pepper, to taste, and toss to combine. Serve.
Note: Add fresh summer stone fruits for some sweet or tart flavor!