DID YOU KNOW...? FUN FACTS!
- Pattypan is a variety of summer squash, lesser known than it's relatives, yellow squash and zucchini. Some people compare its shape to that of a flying saucer. Pattypan squash comes in a variety colors, including pale green, white, and yellow.
- The name "pattypan" refers to a scalloped mold used to make various desserts.
- The pattypan squash originated in the region between Mexico and Guatemala. In fact, squashes are one of the oldest known crops, with some archeological records of being grown about 10,000 years ago in Mexico!
- Pattypan squash has no cholesterol and very little saturated fat or sodium. These qualities make pattypan a great ingredient in heart healthy meals!
- Pattypan squash is rich in Vitamins A, C, and B-6, as well as in potassium and magnesium (which help to lower blood pressure).
Stuffed Pattypan Squash
Pattypan Squash with Eggs
Summer Squash Soup
Roasted Pattypan Squash with Herbs and Shallots